Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How do you get the cash refund for a bottle?

I just finished a bottle of flavored water, and saw on the label that it says "CT-DE-5cent refund......CA CASH REFUND" I don't live in any of the states listed, so I was just curious what this means to those of you that do? We just recycle our plastics here in KS, but sometimes curiosity reigns!

How do you get the cash refund for a bottle?
CA means Canada, you have to live in one of the states, my husband works for a pop company and he told me what it means. We here in Michigan are charged 10 cents for every bottle or can of pop we buy, then when we finish our cans, we take them to the grocery store and feed them into a bottle or can recycling machine, that spits out a ticket for every bottle or can we deposited, we then take the ticket to the cashier and get the money back or money off our groceries. We never come out ahead considering we paid for the deposit up front. Cool, well not really, but I guess it makes us all recycle.
Reply:You would have to return it to the state that offers the refund, HOWEVER, they have a barcode on them and some products may not be returnable if bought in a different state. I live in Michigan, our bottle return on anything carbonated is 10 cents. I bought pop in VA on a trip and when I returned I couldn't return the bottles because of the fact the barcode couldn't be read/accepted. Basically, just recycle the bottle like you normally do, especially since you didn't pay the deposit anyways.


No comments:

Post a Comment