Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I live in NYS and do not have any bank account, how do I cash my income tax refund check?

I have checked at every local bank and no banks are cashing such checks this year even with an added fee. I had no problem cashing it last year with a fee added, but I cannot find any place that is willing to cash it even for a fee.

I live in NYS and do not have any bank account, how do I cash my income tax refund check?
unless something has changed since I retired, nationally chartered banks are required to cash federal checks. all nationally chartered banks have the word "National" in their name, and no other bank may use that word.





example: Bank of America, National Trust and Savings Association.





example: Chase Bank, National Association.





the federal reserve bank will also do this.








you may complain to the US Comptroller of the Currency if a National bank refuses (assuming you have valid ID).
Reply:Please do not pay a fee to cash a federal income tax check!!


If you have no other choice, as the above person states, open an account. It doesn't cost anything to open an account. Open it with your check and make sure they do not charge any fees monthly. Then you will be set. Maybe you could keep the money in the account and get a debit card to withdrawal money as you need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment